The Director of Human Resources develops policy and directs and coordinates human resources activities, such as employment, compensation, labor relations, benefits, training, safety, emergency preparedness and employee services by performing the following duties.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, and systems.
- Knowledge of office management techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of computer systems, programs, and applications and comfort with electronic health records.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, patients, organizations and the public.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to work under pressure, communicate and present information.
- Ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, organize and analyze information.
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Emotional and Social Competencies – maintains basic emotional and social competencies to include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly
Major Duties and Accountabilities:
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan.
- Writes directives advising department managers of Company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits.
- Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal and state law.
- Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management information needs.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Identifies legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
- Writes and delivers presentations to upper management or government officials regarding human resources policies and practices.
- Oversees recruiting, testing, and selection process to fill vacant positions.
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward Company goals.
- Keeps records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Coordinates management training in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Administers performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization. Administers salary administration program to ensure compliance and equity within organization.
- Administers benefits programs such as life, health, and dental insurance, pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, emergency operations plan and employee assistance.
- Investigates accidents and prepares reports for insurance carrier. Coordinates Safety Committee meetings.
- Prepares budget of human resources operations.
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation.
- Represents organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Contracts with outside suppliers to provide employee services, such as temporary employment
- Self-awareness: Knowing what we are feeling in the moment and using those preferences to guide our decision-making; having a realistic assessment of our own abilities and a well-grounded sense of self-confidence.
- Self-regulation: Handling our emotions so that they facilitate rather than interfere with the task at hand; being conscientious and delaying gratification to pursue goals; recovering well from emotional distress.
- Motivation: Using our deepest preferences to move and guide us toward our goals, to help us take initiative and strive to improve, and to persevere in the face of setbacks and frustrations.
- Empathy: Sensing what people are feeling, being able to take their perspective, and cultivating rapport and attunement with a broad diversity of people.
- Social Skills: Handling emotions in relationships well and accurately reading social situations and networks; interacting smoothly; using these skills to persuade and lead, negotiate and settle disputes, for cooperation and teamwork.
Equipment operated: Standard office equipment including computers, faxes, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.); or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical: Position is in a well-lighted office environment. Occasional evening and weekend work. Position involves sitting approximately 90 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder. No heavy lifting required.